How To Clean A Leather Sofa? Home decoration is one such thing that we do with the utmost precision. Getting a good leather sofa is not enough, it is also equally important to keep your sofa cleaned and free of any stains.
Your sofa can make your living room look a lot more beautiful if kept properly. However, this becomes very difficult when you have creative kids at home who like to color on every piece of furniture present in the house.
Here is an article that will help you clean a leather sofa at home with household items.
How To Clean Leather Sofa At Home
Maintaining a leather sofa at home is a lot easier than you think. The only things you would require are microfiber cloth, vacuum cleaner, leather cream, and white vinegar, or any kind of soap.
- Wiping The Dirt: First, start by removing any kind of solid dirt particles or crumbs from the sofa. You can use a vacuum cleaner or you can also use a dry microfiber cloth to remove any dirt and dust from the leather sofa.
- Making a Cleaning Solution: Using a good cleaning solution is very important. You can mix equal portions of water and white vinegar and use them on the sofa. If you do not have vinegar at home you can use any mild soap with water as a cleaning solution.
- Testing The Solution: Testing the solution is important so that you are sure that the solution you are using is not going to discolor your sofa. Test the solution in an area that is not highly visible.
- Cleaning The Sofa: Now use the microfiber cloth and your homemade cleaning solution to clean the sofa. Once you have cleaned it again use a dry microfiber cloth to dry the sofa completely.
- Applying Leather Cream: Finally, use good leather cream or leather conditioner to get back the shine and moisture of your leather sofa. You can use the conditioner every 6 months to get a shinier look on the sofa. Make sure to get a good leather conditioner for your leather sofa and also check the directions before use.
Removing Stains From Leather At Home
Removing Stains from Leather can be a very different job. Here is how you can remove various types of stains from your leather sofa.
- Removing Dark Stains: Dark stains can look very ugly on the light-colored leather sofa. This can be removed by mixing one portion of lemon juice added with one portion of cream of tartar. This paste needs to be rubbed on the dark stains and kept for 10 minutes. Finally, remove with a sponge.
- Removing Ink Stains: You can simply remove stubborn ink stains from leather by rubbing alcohol. Use a piece of cotton to apply to rub alcohol on the stains and blot them. Then use a blow dryer to dry the area completely.
- Removing Water Stains: Water Stains can look extremely dirty on leather sofas. Removing water stains from leather is very easy. For this, you just need to moisten that area with a little water and then let it dry naturally.
General Tips To follow when Cleaning Your Leather Sofa
Here are a few tips you can follow when you clean a leather sofa.
- Always make sure to test the solution in a hidden area or non-visible area of the sofa to see whether it suits the leather or not.
- Try to keep leather away from the air conditioner as it can dehydrate the leather leading to cracks on your sofa.
- Keep leather away from direct sunlight. Sunlight can fade the color of the leather sofa.
Having a leather sofa in your living room can completely enhance the look of your living room. Getting a leather sofa has numerous benefits. It is long-lasting and it does not go bad very soon. It is highly durable and can cope up with any type of temperature.
You may also feel that it is very difficult to clean a leather sofa but that is not true. You can easily clean it at home with items that are available in your kitchen and it looks nothing less than new.