Upholstery sets are important in a home, office, hotel and practically any indoor establishment. They not only provide seating accommodation, but also decorate the premises. Though they may be made of different materials and texture, it��s important you maintain them well for it to maintain it��s look and grandeur.
It��s not feasible for everyone in Singapore to periodically change their upholstery material instead you need to maintain them regularly with the following tips.
1. Recommended cleaning methods
It��s always better to first ask the store about recommended cleaning methods for your new upholstered set. This prevents using the wrong cleaning methods and end up doing more harm to your sofa or chair than good! You may also find some useful fabric protectors which help maintain your furniture.
2. Start vacuuming
Make it a point to vacuum your upholstery at least once a week. Tighten all loose buttons and clip any threads snagging the furniture before vacuuming. The soft brush attachment is useful for removing dirt on cushions while the crevice tool cleans tight spots and corners.
3. Spot cleaning
No matter how clean or meticulous you are with your upholstery maintenance, you can expect spills on the upholstery, especially if you have pets and small children at home. So gently blot but do not rub or scrub spills immediately using a clean white or paper towel to prevent the fabric from absorbing the stain. If this does not remove the stain, follow the manufacturer��s cleaning instructions. It��s better to try new cleaning products first on a small area and only if it��s safe to use, apply in a circular motion using a soft brush. Work into the upholstery fibres and then vacuum dry.
4. Vacuum before cleaning
If your upholstery fabric is full of stains and spots which have to be removed, you need to first vacuum to remove all the dirt and dust. It��s difficult removing dirt and dust when the fabric is wet. Clean the cushions if your sofa is cushion type. Remove as much pet hair from your upholstery as possible using a suitable pet hair remover.
5. Cleaning different stains
As there is no single upholstery cleaner which can remove stains, you need to know how to clean different types of stains. In case of an oil or grease stains, sprinkle some cornstarch or baking powder on the stain and leave for about 15 to 20 minutes and then vacuum. Use a dry cleaning solvent to remove remaining stains. In case of food or beverage stain, make a solution of two cups water and a tablespoon of dish washing liquid, dip a dry cloth piece and gently rub the upholstery till the stain is removed. As this may not clean all food and beverage stains, you may need an expert to help you out with stubborn stains. In case of fruit stains, mix a teaspoon of white vinegar with two-thirds of rubbing alcohol, dip a small piece of cloth in it and rub on the stain till it disappears.
6. The right cleaner
You need to check the upholstery cleaning tag-code for the right cleaner to use. Not following these instructions may lead to complete damage of your upholstery. The tags are:
· W- Means water based cleaners are safe and won��t damage the upholstery
· S- Means dry cleaning solvent or any water free product will clean without damaging the fabric
· WS- Means you can use either a dry cleaning or water based cleaner to clean the upholstery without damaging it.
· X-Means you cannot use any solvent as it may damage the upholstery. Instead, seek professional help.
7. Time to call professional upholstery services
If you don��t have the time or patience to clean your upholstery, don��t wait till your upholstery gets really dirty to call the professionals. It��s better deep cleaning your upholstery once or twice a year as regular professional cleaning restores the beauty and comfort of the fabric to extend your furniture��s lifespan.
Benefits of hiring professionals
Professional upholstery services use safe cleaning products which are specially formulated to thoroughly clean your upholster. Most of them use eco-friendly products which are safe for most fabrics and will not damage them or leave any chemicals behind to harm you or the environment.
1. Minimal drying time
Professionals bring all the necessary cleaning equipment and products to clean your upholstery. Some upholstery services in Singapore use dry shampoo encapsulation method to remove all embedded dirt and dust with minimal drying time so that you can use your upholstery practically immediately after it��s cleaned.
2. Minimized fabric shrinkage
Professionals use low moisture upholstery cleaning methods to clean your upholstery without the risk of the fabric shrinking.
3. Effective cleaning solution for upholstery
While most upholstery services in Singapore use the best methods to clean upholsteries, it��s not possible for them to guarantee the complete removal of all stains. The extent of stain removal depends on various factors like the type of fabric or leather stained, how old the stain is and the type of stain. It��s therefore better to remove fresh stains from upholstery as quickly as possible and if the stain is not fully removed, it��s time to call professional upholstery services to help you with your stain.
Choosing the right upholstery services
With so many upholstery services in Singapore, it��s important you hire the right company to clean your upholstery.
· Look for a registered and licensed company as they are legit and safe to bring into your home or office to clean your upholstery.
· Find out how long they have been in service as the longer they have been cleaning upholstery, the more experience and knowledge they have at tackling all types of stains and spots.
· It��s better to hire an eco-friendly cleaning services as they use eco-friendly products to safely clean your upholstery and thus minimize the amount of chemicals released into the environment during the cleaning process.
· It��s also better to hire cleaners who use dry cleaning methods so that your upholstery is cleaned, and dried in the shortest time possible for you to use as quickly as possible.
If you had always cringed from cleaning your upholstery because of the amount of work entailed in it, you now know how you can either easily clean your upholstery yourself or hire the right professionals to take care of the task for you!